5-Axis Precision Machining
CNC 5-Axis Machines have the traditional three linear axes X, Y and Z familiar to all machinists – plus an additional two rotary axes B and C, or A and B, depending on machine architecture. Advanced 5-axis CNC controllers drive all five axes simultaneously to generate complex tool paths. Complex 3D surfaces like the organic shape of an orthopedic implant or turbine impeller can be made easily. 5-sided milling can make parts with simpler features on precisely tilted surfaces like opto-mechanical frames.
High precision and accuracy are assured by these advanced features:
- Powerful 5-axis CNC control provide high-resolution surfacing, high speed look ahead, tool center point control, tool radius compensation and more advanced functions.
- Rigid machine construction from a compact frame and mineral cast machine base providing stiffness, thermal stability and vibration dampening.
- High speed water cooled spindle with 24,000 RPM, 32hp servo motor and HSK50 ultra precision tool chucks rapid remove material with precision and extremely fine surface finishes.
- Precision Glass Scales on all axes provide highly accurate and precise position feedback to the controller to assure tight tolerances to meet part specifications.
- Laser Tool Probe scans each tool to automatically set tool length and diameter offsets. In production detects broken tools to prevent part defects.
- Part Probe takes precision in-process measurements of the workpiece. Automatic tool path compensation assures part quality.
- High pressure chilled coolant system streams coolant to the machining chamber. Controlled coolant temperature stabilizes the machine frame to provide tighter tolerances on your parts. High pressure coolant flushes chips from the workpiece while cooling and lubricating the cutting edges to promote long tool life.
Jaco Machine Works’ 5-Axis Machines
- Chiron FZ12MT 5-axis Mill-Turn. 24,000 RPM 30hp tilting B-axis milling spindle. 48-tool ATC. 2-1/2” bar-fed C-axis lathe spindle holds workpiece. Back-working NC pick off vise enables 6-sided machining to eject complete parts. Powerful FANUC 31i-B5 CNC controller and glass scale feedback enable full 5-axis milling with extremely high precision. New in 2019
- Kitamura HX250iF 5-axis Horizontal Mill. 15,000 RPM 10hp milling spindle. 250mm 2-pallet APC with 5-axis CNC table. 30-tool B30 ATC. FANUC 16i CNC controller. Ideal for small parts with close tolerance and complex geometries
5-Axis Precision Machining Customer Success Story:
An emerging medical device company’s product uses compressed nitrous oxide to freeze and temporarily block pain receptors in a patient’s limbs for up to three months. Using this technology prior to major surgical procedures can greatly reduce patient discomfort with limited use of opioid painkillers. The customer came to Jaco Machine Works with a need for greater precision in a critical component in the product. Precision 5-sided machining enabled Jaco’s team to produce the part with unsurpassed accuracy. As the customer’s product earned FDA approval and began to take off in the market, Jaco Machine Works was able to easily ramp up production to keep up with demand.
Whatever your application might be, our engineers are happy to assist in any way to bring your product to market in the shortest amount of time and at the lowest cost possible.